Eric’s practice focuses on patent litigation, where he has prosecuted and defended numerous high-tech companies in complex, multi-patent lawsuits in venues throughout the United States. Eric has also litigated trade secret misappropriation cases and counseled software companies on IP issues.
Prior to law school, Eric worked as an engineer for National Instruments and Dow Corning.
- ZiiLabs Inc., Ltd. v. Apple Inc. & Samsung Electronics, et al. (E.D. Tex.): Eric and lawyers from Susman Godfrey represented ZiiLabs in a patent infringement litigation involving graphics processors. Eric was primarily responsible for the validity issues in the case. The parties settled for a confidential sum just days before trial.
- Rembrandt Wireless LP v. Samsung Electronics Co, Ltd, et al. (E.D. Tex.): Eric and lawyers from HPC and AZA represented Rembrandt in patent infringement litigation involving Bluetooth technology. After a trial in February 2015, the jury found Samsung infringed Rembrandt’s patents and awarded over $15 million in damages.
- SuperSpeed, LLC. v. IBM Corp. (E.D. Tex.): Eric and a team of other lawyers from HPC and Susman Godfrey represented SuperSpeed in patent infringement litigation against IBM. SuperSpeed alleged that the cache management features of IBM’s parallel sysplex infringed SuperSpeed’s patents. The case settled in 2009 for a confidential sum shortly before trial.
- PACT XPP Technologies, AG v. Xilinx, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.): Eric and other lawyers from HPC and Susman Godfrey represented PACT in patent infringement litigation involving FPGAs with embedded bus systems and advanced dynamic reconfiguration capabilities. The case went to trial in May 2012 and the jury found that Xilinx willfully infringed PACT’s patents and awarded over $15 million in damages.
- VSI v. IBM Corp. & Oracle Corp. (N.D. Cal.): Eric and other lawyers from HPC and Susman Godfrey represented VSI in patent infringement litigation concerning software with dynamic OLAP technology. The case settled favorably nine months before trial.
- Saxon Innovations, LLC v. Apple, et al. (E.D. Tex.): Eric and several other attorneys from HPC and Susman Godfrey represented Saxon in patent litigation involving microprocesors. Saxon alleged that a number of computer manufacturers, including Apple, Dell, H-P, Acer and Asus, sold infringing computers with advanced power management and wireless networking capabilities. The case settled favorably weeks after the claim construction hearing.
- Burst.com v. Apple (N.D. Cal.): Eric and other attorneys from HPC and several other firms represented Burst.com in a patent suit against Apple on patents involving “faster-than-real-time” transmission of audio and video. The accused products included the iPod and the iTunes Store. The case settled favorably in 2008, after a successful Markman ruling.
Awards & Honors
- Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters/Super Lawyers, as published in Texas Monthly, 2008-2017
- HTexas Magazine, “Professionals on the Fast Track,” 2008-2009; “Houston’s Top Lawyers,” 2015
- Barrister, The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, 2012-2015
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2011-2015
- Preeminent AV Rated by Martindale Hubble
- “Eric was an excellent case manager and was very responsive to our concerns while coordinating the efforts of a legal team spanning two firms. His deep technical understanding of the issues in our case, allowed him to work well with experts and other witnesses. Combining his technical expertise and close working relationship with the experts allowed him to present and defend witnesses very effectively at trial. We are pleased with his representation and would be happy to work with Eric again.” – Michael Johnson, President, Rembrandt Wireless LP
- “Working with Eric Enger has been an absolute pleasure. The successful outcome of our case is, in no small measure, due to his attention to detail, his ability to communicate with a multidisciplinary team, and his uncanny ability to distill relevant technical details from voluminous published material. There is nobody else that we want in our corner during any complex patent litigation.” – Mark Vasudevan, President, VSi
- “Eric Enger and I worked very closely together throughout the litigation process. Eric did a first class job in all areas of the tasks involved. I am proud to recommend him to any client. He was invaluable to the successful outcomes we achieved. I couldn’t ask for a more competent, hard-working, patent litigation attorney.” – Eric Dickman, Managing Partner, SuperSpeed LLC
- “Eric is a great attorney who really understands our technology. His communication skills and organizational abilities are top notch. I highly enjoy working with Eric and appreciate his tireless devotion to my case.” – Martin Vorbach, Chief Technology Officer, PACT XPP Technologies, AG